I have been picking up four or five of the shorter Newberry Books each time we go to the library. I can usually finish them in a day or two so that is how I am burning through so many books. This book was another interesting choice for a childrens' literature award. I found it very depressing. It is set back in medieval times so that is depressing in and of itself. It's about an orphaned girl who doesn't know where she came from and she doesn't even know her name. She has just been called Brat by the villagers she tries to scavenge from. She earns her new name, Beetle, because she is caught sleeping in a dung heap to keep warm... dung beetle.... Beetle. She likes that name better. She is treated horribly by adults and kids. She suffers from stones being thrown at her, name calling and shunning. She is constantly shunned and never un-shunned. She doesn't like stealing so she tries to find people to work for so she can earn an onion, some bread and maybe some cheese. I can't imagine gnawing on an onion, but I guess its better than starving. She finally happens upon a midwife that is a cranky single lady that just bosses her around. She has the job of boiling goose fat for soap making, finding all the herbs and nuts they need for poultices and ointments. She thinks she is too stupid to learn anything, and the miserableness just goes on and on. She starts watching the midwife and learning some of her tricks of the trade. She decides to name herself Alyce. She is successful at helping one lady deliver a baby whom the midwife had left assuming the baby would die and she would be back later to "get it out of her". This lady's sister requests Alyce, and only Alyce, to come help with her delivery. The midwife is furious and sends her on her own. Alyce is scared and can't help the woman. The midwife is summoned and the baby is born. Alyce fears for the punishments to come her way so she runs away. She comes to an inn and becomes the inn girl. She meets a lodger there who is writing a book of knowledge, kind of like an encyclopedia. She won't talk to him, she thinks she is too stupid. He finally speaks directly to her, asking her what she wants. She stews of this for the whole day and finally responds, "I know what I want. A full belly, a contented heart and a place in this world." This made me think about my wants. I wish they were that simple and maybe they should be. A full belly is something we are fortunate enough to not worry about. A contented heart and a place in this world. I need to be more content. We have so much, I shouldn't always be wishing for something else or more. Right now, I want a new kitchen sink and a new faucet. Mine works fine, its old, 1970s style, but it works. Why do I feel like I need a new one. A contented heart. I am going to ponder on that one and work on being content with what I have right now and enjoy it. I am fortunate enough to feel like I have a place in the world as a wife and a mother. I don't feel the need to be something else. I truly and honestly believe that being a wife and a mom is one of the greatest accomplishments one can hope for. I love that I have been blessed with the opportunity to be both. I take it very seriously and it is my number one priority.
Another quote that I liked was from a boy that she befriends. He used to be one that would torment her. One day he and his posse chased her up a tree. He fell in the stream and couldn't swim. In fact she said that no one could swim, you only went in water to wash up before a wedding once a year. YUCK! All his friends abandoned him, so she bravely saves him from drowning. He becomes her advocate and convinces his friends to find someone else to torment. One day as she is being down on herself (which was standard for her) she is telling him that she is so stupid that she doesn't know anything. He replies, very wisely, I thought, "Just because you don't know everything don't mean you know nothing." She then starts thinking of the things she does know and sees a different light. That is a great thought. Just goes along with being grateful for what you do have and not being consumed with what you don't. I always related this phrase to things, not to knowledge.
Overall, this book was terribly depressing, but it does have a good ending, but the good part is just so short. I found it interesting too, reading the author's note at the end. She has always been interested in history but found it boring to always learn of the kings and queens of the time. She began researching what life was like for everyday youth during medieval times. So, let me just say, I am glad I was saved for this day and age... medieval times... yucky!
No comments:
Post a Comment