
Okay, this book was really weird... I can totally picture a Tim Burton animated film. Let me explain.... Miss Hickory is a "person" made of an apple tree twig for her body, arms, legs, etc.. her head is a hickory nut. She wears clothes and cans berries. She starts out the story living in a house made of corn cobs, she talks to crows, her house is taken over by a chipmunk, but crow flies her up to a next and she turns that into a humble abode. She somehow makes facial expressions even though her face is a hard nut. She eats somehow even though, again her face and mouth are a nut and her body is a twig. She also talks to pheasants and cows. A fawn and a cow become friends. I wonder where Miss Hickory finds her tiny little mason jars to do her canning. This book was really short but I just couldn't finish it. I read about 60 pages and I couldn't get where this story was going. It eluded, at the beginning, that there was some little girl that had set up her house, and would bring her things, like a stove or a teapot, but then there was no more talk of the girl. They thought she moved away. I am all about fantasy, I know Harry Potter isn't real and I really shouldn't wonder how Hedwig can find anyone to deliver a letter. But, that story is all set up with explanation, it's MAGIC! duh... But Miss Hickory is just a lady made of a twig and a nut that cans and wears clothes. It doesn't say it's a magical forest or anything. I don't know I thought it was weird.

Here is a doll someone had made that LOVED the book. A little creepy if you ask me, but hey this book was not my cup of tea. I guess not every book can be a home run (as my Dad would say)
I have decided that if I attempt to read, and don't finish the book, it still counts and I can check it off the list. I had to get confirmation from my sisters, Lauren and Adrienne on this. I have on my Bucket List to read all of the Newberry Book Winners, and I didn't know if I didn't finish them if it would count. They said YES so hallelujah, I don't have to finish the books for them to count.
No comments:
Post a Comment