a place to write our thoughts as we read our way through the entire Newbery Award Winner's list and other random books we encounter along the way
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Up, Up and Away
I just finished "Twenty-One Balloons" by William Pène du Bois, published in 1947 and awarded the Newbery Medal in 1948. I actually had listened to this on CD with the kids in the car while driving up to Bear Lake last year. Because of many interruptions in the car, I wanted to read it again. I had thoroughly enjoyed listening to it but I felt like I missed some of it with all the stopping and starting. I don't know why kids have to talk to you so much, especially in the car. Anyway, I just finished and I still loved it. It is a great book. The imagery is so wonderful and the writing is amazing. I loved how the descriptions caused such great pictures to appear in my mind. I wish I was a screen writer so I could make this into a movie. I think it would be fascinating. I loved how they had a restaurant-style government, that each family changed their name to a letter of the alphabet, how each house was built after a theme of a country that started with the letter of their name. The whole idea of balloon travel and the way it is described is, again, I will say, fascinating. The imagery (I think I need a new word) of the island, as a volcano, and the ground rolling up and down was incredible. It was entertaining for adults and kids. I think it would be a good read-aloud for a class. It is a short, quick read but thoroughly enjoyable. One of my favorites.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment