Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Day 9, 21 to go

Art, Art Night

I have been to a couple of museums in my life. I have been to the Met in New York, and in Philly and several in Europe. Always on vacations, but never a local one. I wanted to try one out. My roommate suggested the Springville Museum of Art. They have an exhibition about the the Japenese internment camps in Topaz, Utah. I didn't know much about this part of our history, and was intrigued. So my roommate Heidi met me at the museum and we set out to be observers or art.
Here's a few facts I learned about the internment camps:

There were about 8,100 Japenese Americans in the camps.
Topaz Utah was the 4th largest city in Utah
There were 42 "blocks" of apartments there.

It was interesting to look at some pictures and writings from actual internees. I would like to find out about more about what they actually did at the camp. Here are a few pictures:

There was also a wonderful sculpure garden outside! Beautiful!



This was called Rider's Edge Tea Party anyone??
This is apparantly a famous painting. If you look closely, Marilyn Monroe is at the top of a round table, with all of her dream dinner guests. Included are Judy Garland, paintings by Picasso, Manet, and Vermir.... etc. Kind of interesting. My friend Tifani met us to join in the art-tastic fun.
After the museum, we decided to go eat at the Art City Trolley in Springville to round out the Art, Art night. The food was ok, but the waiter was trying a bit too hard and a little too much eye contact. The one time I get a young, somewhat cute waiter when I am out to dinner with some girlfriends, he is socially awkward. Oh well, we had a lot of laughs.
All in all it was a very fun and art-tabulous evening.

No comments: