I was skeptical of this book at first. I find that I often am unsure and hesitant when choosing books. I was immediately sucked into this book. I often joke about my kids being sucked into "T.V. Land"... you know that non-responsive blank stare state they get in when they are watching Sponge Bob or Phineas and Ferb... Well, I was like that with this book. The main character basically runs away from her arranged marriage, at 13. Who wouldn't?!?! She gets lost out on the tundra and lives near the wolves and learns how to survive from them. She had already been taught many skills from her Dad on how to live off the land, because that was their way of life. It follows her journey to get back to civilization, her struggle with wanting to live the Eskimo life she knows or go to San Francisco to live with her pen pal. The pen pals life is filled with all kinds of exciting things: television, carpet, wallpaper, etc...
She finds comfort in hearing the wolves talk to each other and to her. The journeys the author takes you on, physically, mentally and spiritually are amazing. It's about survival, hard work, and doing everything you can to make it where you want to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment