My last post nearly a year ago in April 2013 mentions I was reading the Time Keeper by Mitch Albom. I loved this book! The idea was so unique and thought provoking. How did we come up with the concept of time? Who started measuring time and why?
Since then I have just been keeping a list of books I've read on a "note" in my phone. There are too many for me to blog about each one so I will just list with a snippet of whether I enjoyed it or not.
Holes by Louis Sachar- misfit boys at a troubled youth camp digging holes to build character - I love this book and the movie!
A Dog's Purpose by Bruce Cameron told from the perspective of a dog as he dies and comes back as different dogs doing different things and he is trying to discover his purpose. I couldn't put this down. I loved it.
Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos another Newbery winner about a quirky boy in a quirky town. I always enjoy these books.
When you Reach Me by Rebecca Stead - a Newbery with an interesting twist. A girl and a boy are best friends when something happens and he stops talking to her. Worth the read. I enjoyed it
And Now Miguel by Joseph Krumgold - a Newbery but more of a blah-bery. I did finish it but it was a little boring for me
Matched by Ally Condie - a twisted society a love triangle...we've all read that before. It was good but not great.
Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - I really liked this book, an interesting circus and the people who frequent it and keep it going, totally different story line and great characters.
Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child - a Jack Reacher...he gets involved in some sort of mystery, kills a lot of people, lives a transient lifestyle.... always the same....always fantastic! Once I start a Jack Reacher book I plow through it very quickly! I have really loved all of them. I just have to read a few books in between because they are a lot the same.
Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski - a Newbery that I adored..set it the Depression era on a strawberry field in the sandy areas of Florida. I love most historical fiction and this was great!
Theodore Boone Accused by John Grisham - these is part of a series of books written for teens by Grisham. I have loved the first two books and need to read the third.
Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool - a Newbery that finds a young girl being sent off on a train while her Dad works for the summer. She doesn't know where she's going or who she will meet. The two girls that she becomes friends with discover mysteries in a cigar box that develop into how her Dad was involved in the history of Manifest. I really enjoyed reading this book.
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - this was not my favorite at all. I didn't enjoy the writing style or the storyline. I personally don't recommend it but I know a lot of people love it.
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel - a boy survives 227 days on a raft with a tiger and mysterious floating island. This was a great book, written very well.
The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom - I loved this book! A white servant girl is torn between the Big House and the servant quarters where she lives. She doesn't quite know where she fits in. There are great characters and a fantastic story line
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie - a good ol' mystery a must read
It's Like This Cat by Emily Cheney Neville -a boy and his Dad fight a lot, his Dad thinks a dog will teach him alot so he finds a cat. This was an ok book
These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner I absolutely loved this book. Even though it is quite lengthy I couldn't put it down. Again, a historical fiction that captured my interest and I fell in love with so many of the characters!
Decked by Carol Higgins Clark - whenever I'm not sure what to read, I know I can always go to a Mary Higgins Clark mystery, this is her daughter and it was just as good.
Gay Neck: The Story of a Pigeon by Dhan Gopal Mukerji - a Newbery but yet another blah-bery... I didn't love the saga of the pigeon, I found it too long and just not enough story line or character development to keep my interest.
Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child -a Jack Reacher book.... see above :)
The Voyages of Dr. Doolittle by Hugh Lofting - a Newbery that was pretty good. Not great but still good.
Inferno by Dan Brown - I held off on reading this because I had heard so-so reviews about it. It definitely has something to think about... the population exponentially increasing too quickly in respect to the earth's resources... the black plague and famines did well to keep the population in check... someone thinks it's time for another plague. Very good but it does drag a little in the middle.
Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson - a Newbery about twins..one outshines the other and the less sparkling one feels left out in the shadows. She tries to find out who she is and discovers many great things about herself and life. I liked this one.
Lily's Crossing by Patricia Reilly Giff - a Newbery honor book set in WWII a young girl is left with her Grandma when her father is called off to war, she befriends a refugee from Hungary. A great story of how friendship can help us through the struggles in life. I recommend this one.
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - written for teens this book sheds light on teens struggling through cancer. The story was good, the characters appealing but the writing style was too teenagerish for me (alot of "I was like") It just made it a little harder to read.
The Enemy by Lee Child
Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder - this is the first book in a series and I enjoyed it. Its about a girl who is sentenced to taste the kings food to make sure it's not poisoned before he eats it. I really enjoyed this book but as I started the second book in the series I quickly lost interest.
Messenger (Giver #3) by Lois Lowry I love, love, love The Giver series. I recommend them to everyone. Great characters, makes you think about things in a different light.
Gathering Blue (Giver #2) by Lois Lowry
No comments:
Post a Comment