Thursday, July 21, 2011

"Crispin" by Avi

I was pleasantly surprised while reading this book.  I had passed over it many times on the library shelf, the cover didn't interest me nor did the synopsis of the book.


Part of the synopsis is:

"In 1377 England, a 13-year-old boy, known only as Asta's Son, lives as a peasant in a small village. His village is part of the territory of the feudal Lord Furnival. As the lord has been away for years fighting in a war in France, the village has long been under the direct control of the steward, John Aycliffe. When his mother dies, Asta's Son is left alone as he has no other known relatives. Shortly afterwards, John Aycliffe falsely accuses him of theft, and declares him a Wolf's Head, one who may be killed on sight. Asta's Son turns to the village priest, his only friend, who gives to him a lead cross that belonged to his mother, and reveals that his true name is Crispin. The priest promises to reveal to Crispin the truth of who his father was, but before he can, Aycliffe's men murder him, forcing Crispin to flee the village by himself, pursued by the steward."

Now, after reading the book, the synopsis is very intriguing.  I can't imagine why I turned this book down so many times.  I loved this book.  I couldn't put it down.  I loved the imagery of life in the 1300s and realizing how blessed I was to be born in the late 1900s.  I would never have survived or wanted to survive in their living conditions.  The things that were normal for them seem torturous to me.  I felt so much for this boy, realizing that he was just barely older than Maddy, on his own, trying to survive.   Whenever I read books set in olden times, and I mean anything older than 1950, I truly appreciate my life, the conveniences I have and the technology we have been blessed with.  The simplicity of going to the store to buy food, while riding in my air conditioned car, is something I often take for granted.  Or relaxing at home watching tv on my comfy couch in my air conditioned home... yes, it is hot and I am so grateful for air conditioning right now!  They lived their life to survive and some days I am not sure what my intent for the day is.  I know my ultimate goal is to get my family to the celestial kingdom but do I put the intensity into that these people did in order just to survive.  Isn't that what we are trying to do... survive the evil influences and rise above.  I need more intensity.

No comments: