a place to write our thoughts as we read our way through the entire Newbery Award Winner's list and other random books we encounter along the way
Friday, July 8, 2011
"The Wheel on the School"
This Newberry book is by a Dutch author, Meindert DeJong. This was actually picked by the book club in my ward. I was really excited that they picked a Newberry book because I haven't read one for a long time and I wanted to get back to reading them. I was very intrigued that it was by a Dutch author since Norm's Mom is Dutch. I had Norm ask her if she had read it and she, of course, said "many times". I was surprised I had not heard of it or read it before. So, I quickly began reading. I must admit this was not my favorite Newberry book. I was intrigued by the Dutch-ness of the story because of my Hans, my mother-in-law. So I did read the whole thing. I just truly didn't enjoy the writing style. The story is very endearing though and you do feel for the little kids. I appreciated their perseverence and I wished that I had the drive to accomplish something like them. Their desire to have storks nest in their town became all consuming. They searched unceaslingly until they found the needed wagon wheel. The whole town became involved and worked together to find all the items needed for the storks to make a nest. Overall, I enjoyed the book. It took me several weeks to read through it though, when most Newberry's I plow through in a day or two!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment